It’s not easy to be yourself. At home, you can relax, but once you go out that door, it’s a whole other matter. You feel the need to behave and dress a certain way. You’re less open with your preferences and opinions, especially when dealing with strangers. It’s not easy to be original.
All during your school years, there’s immense pressure to fit in. Those that are original are fodder for bullies in the educational system.
But as an adult, there is much to be gained if you dare to be original.
Secretly, we all admire those brave enough to be themselves. Many of the most creative people are the most highly valued. You don’t get to become a CEO, or successful actor, musician, or artist without the courage to be yourself.
There are many benefits to being original, both professional and social!
Feel better about yourself and enhance your life by daring to be original:
1. Rely on your instincts and intuition. Two things that makes you original are your instincts and your intuition. They are yours and yours alone. Both are based upon your unique experiences and view of the world. Anytime you learn something new, you’re affected. That knowledge influences your perspective.
- Start small and rely on your gut to make small decisions for you. Try going for a drive and allow your intuition to guide you. Take the turns in the road that just “feel” right to you.
- Trust your gut when you lack sufficient information.
2. Change your clothing. Do you dress the way you prefer, or do you dress to fit in or to impress others? This isn’t a suggestion to wear a miniskirt or a purple suit to your bank job, but outside of work, you’re largely free to do as you please. Dress to impress yourself.
- Be more flexible with your hairstyle and facial hair, too.
3. Share your opinions openly. There’s no reason to tell your office mate that her new hairstyle reminds you of a housewife from the 50’s. However, you can freely share your opinions on less personal things. Be open regarding your taste in movies, music, food, and other similar topics. Allow others to see the real you.
4. Be kind to those that are brave enough to be original, too. If you’re critical of others, you’ll be afraid of receiving the same treatment. This will stifle your freedom to be yourself. That acquaintance with the green hair, eight cats, and smells like potpourri? Be accepting.
5. Be willing to make mistakes. Make decisions as wisely as possible, but make them and do your best. If you’re afraid of making mistakes, you’ll never be original.
6. You have nothing to lose. The late Steve Jobs stated, “Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.”
- In 100+ years, there will no one left on Earth that ever saw you or spoke to you in the flesh. There’s no reason not to be yourself and enjoy the time you have.
7. Spend more time with your best friends. Part of the reason you like those people so much is your ability to you be yourself around them. It’s refreshing, and you feel better about yourself. So, why not spend more time with them?
You might develop the habit of being yourself.
Isn’t it time be your true self? You’ve been living as a shadow of yourself for too long. Realize that life is short and being anything other than your true self is being less than you can be. Be brave and show the world who you really are.