12 Foods That Boost Your Brain
Diet has a tremendous impact on your health. This is true for the entire body, but the effects may be greatest on the brain, especially as you age. There are many foods that boost brain activity and health. Including these foods in your diet decreases the rate of mental decline and the risk of developing many debilitating diseases.
Include foods in your diet that boost brain function and health:
1. Blueberries. This favorite has been shown to enhance memory and increase the rate of brain cell growth. The antioxidant properties help to prevent cell damage. It’s believed that blueberries are one of the foods that can help to increase lifespan.
2. Cold-water fish. Fish, such as salmon and herring, contain omega-3 fatty acids which have multiple benefits. They build brain membranes and reduce inflammation in the brain.
3. Chocolate. We’re not talking about the chocolate in the checkout line, but real chocolate with a significant percentage of cacao. This is one of the strongest antioxidants you can consume. It’s also been shown to increase blood flow in the brain. You’ll also enjoy decreased reaction times and improved memory.
4. Coffee. There are health benefits to drinking coffee on a regular basis. Studies show that drinking coffee lowers the risks of getting Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease.
5. Olive oil. Olive oil is considered to be one of the few healthy oils you can buy in the local supermarket. One of the benefits is due to the polyphenols in olive oil. Olive oil can lower the risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease and improve memory and learning.
6. Nuts. Many types of nuts are filled with healthy fats that are beneficial to brain health.
7. Cranberries. Several studies have indicated that cranberries are helpful after experiencing a stroke. Recovery occurs faster and is more complete. Cranberries can also reduce the damage caused by a stroke.
8. Eggs. Specifically, egg yolks can be brain-healthy. The high choline content decreases the incidence of senility in seniors. Consider adding an egg a day to your diet, with your doctor’s permission.
9. Green leafy vegetables. Vegetables like collard greens, kale, and spinach can slow the decline of cognitive functioning. Two servings each day can reduce the age of your brain by an equivalent of 11 years!
10. Avocados. Like olive oil, avocado contains monounsaturated fat. Avocados lower blood pressure and increase blood flow in the brain. Due to the high calorie content of avocados, many health professionals suggest limiting intake to half an avocado per day.
11. Pomegranates or pomegranate juice. A powerful antioxidant, pomegranate minimizes free-radical damage in the brain.
12. Green tea. The antioxidant activity of green tea benefits the entire body and provides little caffeine. The tea must be freshly made. The beneficial catechines found in freshly made tea are absent in bottled and powdered teas.
It’s challenging to enjoy life when your health is poor. Increasing the number, and the quality, of years that you enjoy is partially dependent on your diet. It’s easy to include a few of these brain-healthy foods each day. Make it a point to include at least one with each meal. Many of these foods also make excellent snacks!
Contact your physician if you have any concerns or questions.
Avoid waiting until your later years to begin worrying about your diet. Give it your full attention today. Diet is more effective at preventing health issues than it is at curing them. Start adding these healthy foods to your diet right away.
DOWNLOAD a free Daily Authenticity Checklist and learn 10 powerful questions that will empower you to live a beautiful, authentic life every single day.