A vision board can be a wonderful tool for reminding yourself about your goals each day. One of the most challenging parts of achieving goals is sticking with them. It’s easy to become distracted, lose hope, or even forget about them. A vision board is a solution for all of these challenges.
Regular use of a vision board keeps your goals fresh in your mind. Using a vision board also associates positive feelings with the achievement of your goals.
Nearly anything can serve as a vision board. Ideally, your vision board will be portable enough to carry with you. Then you can use it at any time. Poster board, cardboard, or even a spare wall can suffice. You might choose to use a notebook.
Create a vision board that works:
1. Decide on your goals. This is often the most challenging part. For best effect, limit yourself to a few goals. Perhaps your goals are a fit body, a new car, and a vacation to Hawaii. It’s up to you. What excites you?
2. Locate images that depict or symbolize the future you’d like to achieve. A picture is worth 1,000 words. There are plenty of sources for images: photographs, magazines, the internet, and more.
Find pictures that best represent the goals you wish to achieve. If you’re striving for a new car, find the exact model and color. When you look at the photo, you should get the same feeling you get when you think about the goal.
3. Choose the best words to go on your vision board. A suitable word might be “Porsche” or “Honolulu.” Also consider how you’ll feel when the goal is achieved: “Excited,” “Grateful,” “Proud.” What qualities will you need to achieve these goals? “Committed,” “Powerful,” or maybe “Optimistic.”
4. Mount the words and photos on your vision board. Get out your scissors, glue, or tape. Arrange everything in a way that pleases you.
The creation of a vision board is fun, simple, and easy. You might even enjoy the process.
Using your vision board is just as important as creating it:
1. Keep your vision board where you’ll see it at least twice each day. On the nightstand is a great location. You’ll see it in the morning and at night. If you’re comfortable doing so, you could mount it on the bathroom mirror.
2. Spend a few minutes each morning using your vision board. This can set the tone for the rest of your day. Reminding yourself of your goals each morning will point your brain in the right direction. You’ll see opportunities to help make your dreams come true. It’s then your job to seize those opportunities.
Look at each word and picture on the board. Take your time and visualize having those things in your life.
3. Using your vision board before bed is just as important. Your brain is highly active while you sleep. You brain spends all night churning away, trying to find solutions to your requests. Give your brain the information it needs. Look at the items on your vision board and imagine possessing them. Experience how that feels.
Part of your brain will spend all night trying to make your vision board a reality.
Create a vision board and use it every day. It’s not magic, though it sure seems that way. Keep your goals fresh in your mind by using your vision board twice each day. Give it a few months and see for yourself how well it works.